As the month of love draws to a close, let's not forget to show some love to this beautiful planet we call home. It can sometimes be easy to get overwhelmed when we think about the state of the environment and all the changes that need to be made and how far we have to go. But don't let the fear of not being the perfect environmental superhero paralyze you and prevent you from doing anything.
Every little bit truly does count, and the more small green habits you pick up and maintain consistently over time, the more likely you are to continue looking for new ways to green up your lifestyle and give back to nature. Looking for some small, easy ways to get started? Check out our list of 20 simple things you can do today to reduce your impact and love the planet well!
1. Swap out your plastic grocery bags for reusable totes.
2. If you end up using some plastic grocery bags, don't just toss them - recycle them!
3. Ditch plastic water bottles - carry a refillable one with you at all times instead.
4. Skip the plastic bags when you buy produce.
5. Support companies who are actively pursuing environmental stewardship and protection.
6. Repurpose old items into new treasures.
7. Buy secondhand clothing and household items instead of new ones.
8. Mamas, try cloth diapers instead of disposable ones. (Even if you don't use them exclusively, every little bit of cutting down counts).
9. Walk or bike to work if you have the ability.
10. Start a garden.
11. Host a free swap with friends and family instead of just throwing things away.
12. Shop local whenever possible, and encourage others to do the same.
13. Model environmental stewardship to your kids. If they see that being green is important to you, it will become important to them, too.
14. Start a compost bin.
15. Hang your clothes out to dry on sunny days instead of using the dryer.
16. Opt for buying products with less (or no) plastic packaging. Write in to your favorite companies and tell them you'd like to see less plastic and wasteful packaging.
17. Opt for paperless billing for any recurring bills you receive. This will mean less paper used and less clutter for you to sift through.
18. Meal plan- it helps maximize what you already have to avoid wasting food and money!
19. Repurpose glass jars from foods like applesauce, salsa, etc. as storage and portable food containers. This also helps your budget by eliminating recurring purchases like plastic baggies for sandwiches and snacks.
20. Give experiences rather than things. When planning a birthday or special occasion gift, think of something fun you could do with the person, rather than an item they may or may not end up getting rid of.
What are your favorite ways to care for the planet? Share in the comments below!